Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Hopped up on goofballs



I went to the doctor today, which was a good and a bad thing.  OK it wasn't totally bad, but I did find out my weight, which I have previously said is bound to be a scary number.  I'm only 4 pounds short of my all-time highest weight, which was in the summer of 2006.  I am NOT going to gain more weight, and by publishing this on the internetz, I will hold myself accountable.

The good part about my doctor's visit is I got my crazy pills.  See, I had stopped them last year when I was wanting to get pregnant because I didn't want a baby with tentacles.  That means it has been over a year that I've been an unmedicated bipolar.  Believe it or not, I managed my illness reasonably well.  This was mostly in part to Mr J, my husband.  He held my hand when I was feeling depressed (and there was a lot of depression) and he told me to knock it off when I was edging toward mania.

I got a prescription for Wellbutrin, to help with the depression, and for Topamax, for the mania and to fend off migraines.  Yes, I get migraine headaches too, and you're probably wondering why I have so many weird things going on with my health.  Let me tell you, all of those hitting me at once is not fun!  The good part about Topamax is it can be used off-label for weight loss.  The last time I used it I lost about 20-30 lbs in 2 months.  It was awesome and I look forward to that side effect again.  The bad part is it turns me into a total space cadet.  So if I neglect this blog for awhile, it is probably because either I've forgotten it exists or I've forgotten how to form words and type.

PS: The first person who can tell me where I got the title for this post gets a gold star!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to guess it came from the Simpsons, although I keep finding it said "hepped" up.

    More importantly, I just had the "I need to be back on my pills" epiphany as well. I'm not bipolar and am soothed with little bit of Prozac, but oh what a difference it makes.

    I took Wellbutrin a long time ago and found that it was too much for me, though it did help me quit smoking.

    Now about those migraines, is there a way to induce them. I'm so bummed about my weight I'd consider it. Nah, not really. I've only had a few in my life and they STINK!!

    I hope you get to feeling better and that you'll stick around, but if not it's because you're feeling THAT good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is from The Simpsons and I can't believe I got the quote wrong. You get double gold stars for the correction: **. Just pretend they are gold.

      Wellbutrin helped me quit smoking too, the first time I was on it, about 4 years ago. It just made the cigs taste nasty and I had been smoking like a pack a day for 10 years. I quit almost cold-turkey so that was a very welcome side effect.

      So far the Topamax hasn't done anything to squelch my appetite and I'm still getting headaches. Not all-out migraines, which is good I guess. But I still I'll have to up the dosage after awhile.

      Delete

I read all my comments and I love receiving them!